Sign Up for Email Alerts
Books for Teachers, Administrators, and Policymakers in Higher Education
Loading to Devices
All Kumarian E-Books
All Stylus E-Books
E-Books by Subject
E-Book Exam Copy
Request Exam Copy
Request Desk Copy
Blogs & Communities
Request Email Alerts
How to Get the Teaching Job You Want
The Complete Guide for College Graduates, Teachers Changing Schools, Returning Teachers and Career Changers
Paper: 978 1 57922 068 6
Published: January 2004
Lib Ebook: 978 1 57922 956 6
About Library E-book
Published: June 2011
8 1/2" x 11"
Competition for the best teaching jobs is becoming more intense. Since publication of the first edition, when it was mainly the most desirable schools that were deluged by applications, the economic climate has made the teacher market more competitive across the board, and is changing hiring practices.
Now extensively revised, this book maintains its place as the most up-to-date book available on job hunting for teachers. The authors cover changes in the educational marketplace; the new mandates about standardized testing and public reporting of student achievement–and what they mean for applicants; how new certification standards and schools’ requirements affect career changers; the growing acceptance of on-line applications and electronic portfolios; and provide additional advice for teachers applying to change schools or districts.
This is also the only guide written by school administrators. Offering the insights and experience of two authors who do the hiring, it details a step-by-step program for taking charge of your teaching career.
How to Get the Teaching Job You Want enables you to:
* Match your unique talents to the needs of a particular school
* Craft effective cover letters and resumes, using models that address the specific needs of college graduates, teachers changing schools, returning teachers and career changers
* Make effective on-line applications
* Leverage your achievements as an experienced teacher–or, for graduates or career changers, student teaching, substitute teaching, volunteer work or content knowledge–into a job offer
* Locate jobs on-line and discover valuable information about schools, including test results, educational philosophy and names of key administrators
* Design a portfolio in book or electronic format to showcase your abilities
* Practice interview skills using 100 questions taken from real job interviews
* Apply proven strategies for a variety of interview formats, including high stress interviews and performance interviews
* Address controversial questions during interviews
This book covers procedures for applying to elementary, middle and high schools; public, independent, and parochial schools; as well as international and boarding schools. Anecdotes recounting the experiences of real candidates looking for jobs illustrate key points. Access to the authors’ web site ensures that you will stay current in a changing job market.
This is a vital book for teachers and aspiring teachers who want to achieve their career goals. It will also be invaluable for guidance counselors, psychologists, librarians and other school professionals.
Table of Contents:
* Extensively revised to reflect latest educational trends
* Find job openings nationwide, on-line, in print, and through job fairs
* New tools to research schools in-depth to find the one that is right for you
* In addition to guidance for graduates, new advice for teachers changing schools and for candidates entering teaching through alternative certification routes
* Create attention-getting cover letters, resumes and portfolios
* How and when to apply on-line and use electronic portfolios
* Take control of the all-important interview
* Showcase your talents for public and private schools
* Includes a glossary of current educational terms that every candidate should know
* Inside tips from administrators who do the hiring
Customers who have this book also purchased these titles:
Teachers - Request Exam Copy
Table of Contents
Reviews & Endorsements:
"[P]resents a well-organized, comprehensive system for finding a teaching job. The authors, Feirson and Weitzman, provide detailed instructions and practical worksheets that can be adapted to the needs of candidates in different phaases of their career….This is a thorough handbook for candidates seeking a teaching job, taking them from creating a personal profile to settling salary issues. This is an ideal reference book for Academic Advisors of education majors as the book provides vital guidance for assisting advisees through the job search process."
- National Academic Advising Association Journal
"I used the contents of Dr. Feirsen and Dr. Weitzman's book, How To Get the Teaching Job You Want to develop a resume, create cover letters, prepare for interviews, and compose follow- up letters in pursuit of my first teaching position in an elementary school. This book helped me identify those aspects of my education and employment history which are most valuable for an elementary school teaching position.
How To Get the Teaching Job You Want is designed for educators. There is no book like it on the market. I thank Dr. Fiersen & Dr. Weitzman for helping me highlight my strengths and accomplishments in the teaching profession. By using the information in this book as guidance, I secured a position in a school of excellence on Long Island. I will recommend this book to anyone who is going into the education field!”
- Julia Kelleher, Kindergarten Teacher
"A straightforward, 'user friendly' career guide for graduates newly entering the education field as well as classroom teachers who are changing school or district job assignments. A practical resource to finding job openings; crafting a polished cover letter and resume; perfomring well in the job interview; and so much more, How to Get the Teaching Job You Want is an absolute 'must-have' for anyone seriously pursuing teaching-related employment in this modern era of constant school related job market shifts."
- The Bookwatch
“I can't tell you how much your book has helped me in my career. It helped me write a powerful resume and cover letter, and boosted my confidence with the whole interviewing process. The administrator that hired me told me that I was only called because my resume caught his eye.”
- Elizabeth Phillips, Teacher (New York)
“I signed a contract today. I attribute the strategies in your book with helping me get a teaching position.”
- Joyce Conger, Teacher (Texas)
“An invaluable resource. Easy to follow and chock full of pertinent information, it’s one of the most useful how-to books I’ve read in a long time. The sample cover letters and resumes are excellent, and the exercises the book offers help the reader to feel organized and productive from beginning to end of the job search process. I will continue to recommend this book to Bank Street students and alumni.”
- Susan Levine, Director, Career Services
Bank Street College Graduate School of Education
“I tell everyone looking for a job in education to get this book. Make it your first stop on the road to a teaching job.”
- Maureen Hocker, Assistant Superintendent for Human Resources
Bay Shore Public Schools, New York
“I recommend this book to all of my students, even those interested in working outside education. The authors expertly share their experiences in hiring school personnel and offer strategies to help applicants stand out from the crowd. Readers are walked through every step of the job search process in a practical, clear and concise manner.”
- Jennifer S. Tramontozzi, Career Counselor
Fordham University, Graduate School of Education
Related Titles by Subject:
Teaching Skills & Training
Graduate & Doctoral Education
Blogs & Communities
© 2008 Stylus Publishing, LLC Prices and descriptions subject to change without notice.